Wednesday 9 March 2011

Film Review Preparation




















Preparation for Film Review

When writing a review for a film, DVD, music video or television programme, there are many different styles and techniques. For my own product I will be looking at film reviews, in particular social realism films. In order for me to look into reviews I had to find what type of magazines would be best suited for a review of my own film, GSA. The main magazine I came across was Sight & Sound.

From looking at the magazine in detail I felt that the style and content would fit perfectly for my film review. The cover of the magazine immediately drew me in as it features an image from the film ‘Fish Tank’. Not only was it created by a British filmmaker but it is also of the Social Realism genre, which is what my film is.

Throughout the magazine were various reviews from different genres of film, including features and shorts. As well as reviews the magazine advertises many films and festivals. Some of the adverts commonly printed in the magazine are social realism films or DVD released films.

When writing my review I will model it on some of the social realism reviews mentioned in the Sight & Sound magazine, by doing this I will be following the conventions of the review. The conventions of the review help me in how to structure my own, from the links with other films within the genre and a clear analysis of the film including a synopsis and a picture from the film.

As my film is a short social realism, Sight and Sound allows me to express and talk about the themes and issues presented in the film in an honest way. The use of this style means I can engage with my target audience better and can also attract an audience of film lovers through the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment